Movie Review: The Ocean Waves

Movie Review: The Ocean Waves

Here is the link to the movie:
http://www.animestreams.net/watch-the-ocean-waves-full-episodes-online/

I'll admit that I watched this on impulse when I saw an advertisement for it on facebook (it's supposedly going to be shown in American theaters now or something, I forget).

Moving along, I think that it's kind of hard to wrap my head around a certain point I wanna get across with this review... like something that I wanted to say with it has just slipped my mind.

It's a very simple and yet kind of graceful film about love and growing up, specifically the transitioning from high school to college and the difference that you feel between the two (regarding your love life).

The entire film revolves around two best friends in high school who experience love (for what seems like the first time) and they go about it their own unique ways. I won't say so much about it in order to keep from spoiling the entire plot for you guys. I think that the simplicity of this plot is very calming and refreshing, something really nostalgic and yet at the same time comforting to watch. I found the female lead to be, in some cases, unappealing but there were times where I felt like she was relatable. Now what Miyazaki-sensei does in his films is create a female lead that is always very strong (mentally, emotionally, physically), there is something, some aspect of her, that is very very strong and I enjoy that concept the most about his films. She was different in a way that when you looked at her from afar, she was one person and when you got closer to her and got to know her, she became a different one (but both were very appealing, which probably negates my statement from earlier). What I found to be a bit distasteful about her character is not that she "gave an illusion" or a "facade" of her personality, but of the decisions that she made in her life and how her story played out. I felt like if she had a different lifestyle, something a bit more gloomy and depressing but with a silver-lining she would've been a more appealing character to me. What I find attractive about characters, in general, are their uniqueness, their ability to stand out with the context that they've been provided. I wanted to be more closely related to her, if not in context or background story, at least in feeling or emotion... she didn't seem to have a sort-of depth to her character, she kinda of stood flat in the plot-line for me. There were some cases where I did feel like she was relatable but only in certain actions, words, and approaches that she has done but in no way did I feel personally attached to her character. I guess maybe the audience is supposed to be show more empathy with Morisaki and possibly even Matsuno instead.

Overall it was a very nice film and I wouldn't mind watching it again. I just felt like it lacked a bit of depth for my taste.

8/10

Comments

Popular Posts