My love for strong female characters

So I've always loved films with strong female characters, love them, love them, love them. I think that it helps me to feel a lot better about myself, that as a woman, I can accomplish more goals in life, it helps to provide me that extra strength in mentality and overall helps me get a grip on what I want for my future.

So with that, I just wanted to share a few characters that helped to replenish all the tiny little hope that I have in my body and the characters that have fueled my mentality and shaped how my personality is (as far as I can analyze about myself at least). Because, and I'll admit, when I watch films, I tend to immerse myself into the life of the characters, I steal and pick at their personalities and sometimes it stays with me.

So here we go, and maybe this list isn't new to some people who have been really updated with my posts or something (and don't be ashamed if you are, I actually really love the fact that people are enjoying what I post here) but anyways here are some characters that have given me the greatest amount of inspiration:

Katarina Stratford (10 Things I Hate About You)
-She was a very strong and dynamic character, never wavering and never backing off. If she had something to say and an input to express, she said it and she did it gracefully. She was smart, beautiful, sarcastic, and an all-around amazing young woman. Her character had a unique spunk to her, she was "nerdy" and intelligent but she didn't mind being different, she was proud of who she was and didn't want to follow the crowd and go along with whatever everyone else was doing.

Juno MacGuff (Juno)
-Juno was very tomboyish and quirky and dressed the way that she want all the time. She said what she want, did what she want, lived how she wanted and she was alright with it. Again, another very strong and dynamic character. Her colorful sarcasm and choice of words really had me sold. I love her dialogue and think that she was honestly the best character to ever be created. She was young and wild and did the opposite of what she was told, rebelled but also rebelled against the rebellion (which is kinda-sorta ironic or awkward to say). Because on one hand, she didn't align with the standards put out for her, and on another hand, she didn't align with the rebel standards either, she created her own category to live by and I thought that that was what made her an amazing character. [Juno's my all-time favorite, for sure]

Ursula (Kiki's Delivery Service)
-She was a very minor character in the animation but she left a really great imprint on my heart. She lived in a forest, dressed in a very tomboyish way, painted some really surrealist-type-stuff, it's no biggy. I thought she was a very fascinating character because as she acted as an older sister for Kiki during her time of need, she provided the audience with a more insightful outlook on life as well: the importance of finding the inspiration in our life, or the motivation / drive that keeps us up and ready to continue towards our goals. I remember being completely shattered and off the ball with my art pieces, and really trying to seek out how to get back on track but I could never do it and for months or even years at a time, I would quit and never come back to creating things anymore... I felt terrible (and even to this day do I feel like I go through these things now), it's pretty similar to depression in my opinion. So in essence I guess I've placed myself as Kiki in those instances where now Ursula becomes the older sister to me, a sort-of close mentor that I've never had.

[I have a lot more but if you made it to the end here, thanks so much for reading this! I honestly like to talk too much about ridiculous nonsense, I get really really passionate but without a destination. But anyways, it's really an honor if you've actually made it down here. Thank you!].

Comments

Popular Posts