MV Opinion/Interpretation: Melanie Martinez - Soap

MV Opinion/Interpretation: Melanie Martinez - Soap

Starting with the interpretation, the song really really speaks to me. After reading Melanie’s intended meaning of the song, I got thrown off quite a bit but I’ll still talk about what this song means to me and what I interpreted from it (with references to the lyrics of course).

The overall song is about regret. Regret of thinking about a person, of feeling for a person, a deep frustration at oneself as well as a good deal of sadness. Soap is a repeated metaphor used within the song and is represents the cleansing of oneself.

In the beginning of the song she talks about leaving the faucet running, this is her pouring out her deepest emotions, all that she ever had. She makes a reference to a someone, “darling you’re just soaking in it” and uses the bathtub to represent the situation she’s in with the someone and the water as a way to represent the depth of the situation. She says that he’ll leave once his skin starts to prune, this means that he’ll leave once he’s satisfied with himself and is emotionally done with her. She’s left in the bathtub soaking up the depth of the water and nearly drowning herself in it.

“I’m trying to be careful, tiptoe, trying to keep the water warm”

She’s dealing with anxiety and trying to be cautious with the actions that she takes towards her affections for said person. Trying to keep her life together, trying to keep the water warm, trying not to fall apart and mess up the situation.

“Let me under your skin”

Just a phrase she lets out, it sounds kind of weird but taken metaphorically she just wanted to get to know the person and get closer to the person. “I said too much it overflowed”, she was being too much. She was being too clingy and she’s regretting. She overdid her actions, “Why do I always spill?” She is constantly fucking it up.

“God I wish I never spoke”, she regrets doing the things that she did and wants to make it better but can’t. “Guess I better wash my mouth out with soap” she wants to cleanse herself from this.

The second chorus is the same but with a different meaning, more of an alleviation of pain here:

“God I wish I never spoke”, she regrets her feelings for said person. She regrets ever trying, ever putting so much effort, ever letting all of the water drown her and pouring out her entire soul through the faucet. “Guess I better wash my mouth out with soap” means she wants to cleanse herself from this experience. She regrets all of her feelings.

“Should’ve never said the word ‘love’”

It means exactly as it is.

She’s regretting all of the emotions she poured out into this person and wants to wash out these experiences with soap (metaphorically of course).

“God I wish I never spoke, now I gotta wash my mouth out with soap”.
----------------
The music video itself is beautiful beautiful beautiful.

Melanie said that she got together a group of friends and they shot the video at her hotel room bathtub which I thought was cool because it seemed so professionally made.

The colors in all of her videos always give me life, I’m absolutely amazed every single time when I watch them. Her mvs are seriously my aesthetic.

I love the usage of different cameras/ different quality film in it. I’m not so familiar with what she’s using honestly but I have to say it worked pretty well with the emotion that she was trying to convey here.

Surprisingly I didn’t think the handheld shots were discombobulating, I found them going very well with the song here.
Her makeup was fly, but I was thrown off by her pink eyebrows for a bit, it’s not too serious though (don’t think about that LOL).


Comments

Popular Posts