Movie Review: The Way He Looks (2014)


Ref: The Way He Looks (2014)

Note: This is a Brazilian film, so you will need to watch it with subtitles.

I have to say that this is such a cute movie!! I love it so so so so much, my heart is exploding right now because of it. It’s honestly way better than all of the other rom coms that I’ve ever watched. It’s so heartwarming and so beautifully made and so unique, that’s the most important part.
----------------------
I didn’t write down any quotes, sorry, but I think that the overall story was written pretty well :)
----------------------
Context:
I went into this movie just knowing that it was about a blind kid and his friendship. I didn’t know where it would take me but I’m honestly glad I took the time to just appreciate this film. It’s very very touching and super super sweet. I honestly think this movie has just become one of my top favorites!

Technicalities and Functioning:
The cinematography in here is beautiful; the shots are smooth and framed very well. Composition, lighting, color, feeling, it’s all there. The camera is aligned in ways that help to define the shapes within each frame which helps to really appeal to the eye when watching it, it’s really beautiful. I honestly really love watching international films because the aesthetics are different and more heavily focused on instead of those in the US (not speaking for all films, but there’s a very good charm and elegance in international films that you wouldn’t normally get from watching films from the US).

Content:
The acting performance was so good and the way that the characters were established was very fast yet very nice. You knew at the beginning that he was blind, you can tell what type of kid he was, all of the information was sprawled out there, revealing more and more of itself after every minute passes. The flow of the overall plot was very nicely paced and I personally felt that there were no lags in events and or any sense of the plot dragging along. I honestly thought that this film was super super cute and that the main lead did a wonderful performance as taking the role of a blind kid. He was really innocent and pure and that added so much charm to his character that I loved him and more and more as the story went on. I did take note that some parts may get “strangely intimate” due to his emotions and feelings but it didn’t bother me, I felt like it was a nice touch nothing too rough on the edges (if I have to say). I loved how the story turned out, it seemed like a pretty typical coming-of-age story but with that nice and sweet twist. I cried so bad when it ended and squealed so much throughout the entire film; I loved it. It was a wonderful movie, so heartwarming, so sweet, so cute, everything about it was adorable.

I would definitely recommend everyone to watch it, rating: 10/10



Comments

Popular Posts