Opinion Piece: We don’t care about interpretation anymore.

We don’t care about interpretation anymore. We need to be spoon-fed information, to be spoon-fed data and things. We don’t care if a color has symbolism, we don’t take the time to think about the relevance of an element in a film or take the time to put any meaning into it. We’re so used to hearing and listening and getting the information placed into our brains that it’s kind of hard for us to sit and watching an abstract film with little-to-no information in it. Interpretation is boring for us, we don’t care about your moody, dramatic little experimental piece because who wants to feel anymore. We look to film to escape our sorrows not to emphasize them, not to enlarge our problems and remind ourselves that we have them. Who cares if the color red means something or the color yellow or the color blue, who cares? It’s all bullshit because we only want to be spoon-fed information. We want it telling us what’s going on, we want it to look aesthetically pleasing and we need a caption that gives us word for word what the hell is going on in it because we don’t have time. Visual arts isn’t a thing of the present anymore, who gives a crap about deciphering the meaning of a frame, I just want to watch the thing and just get it over with. Abstract art bores me, I’ll make a joke about it because that’s how much I hate it. It’s too bland, it’s not my taste. Experimental films bore me, they’re too random, they’re too ridiculous. Who cares what they’re doing in the film, I don’t want to watch 2 minutes of pure bullshit. I don’t care if the artist wanted to stimulate feelings or emotions, I don’t care about it all, I just don’t want to use my brain!

But the truth of the matter is that, we’re so used to having the dialogue speak to us, to tell us what’s going on. I’ve noticed the constant hate on experimental films and the strong hate for abstract art and abstract things in general. When we watch films, we want to be able to understand what’s going on, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a person sit and take notes on an experimental film and try to analyze what’s working in it and what’s not. And I’m not trying to lift myself up in anyway but I feel like the only thing people really care about is if your video looks pretty and not the why it’s pretty and there’s not real meaning to it. I’ve asked the question, what’s your motive and where does your inspiration come from and the answer always seems to be vague (for the most part). I want more substance and more thought evoking visuals, I want something to mean more than the average and typical. I want that color to mean something to someone, to have that be more than just what it is. No one really cares about experimental art / film unless it’s a music video, and a one that they can easily understand and interpret for that matter. No one really cares about if you were conscious about the decisions that you’ve made for specific colors and specific framing that you chose, no one really asks what your inspiration is and where did you define such a clear and distinct character or setting or plot, how that is used to enhance the story of your film. The answer is always kind of dry like, I thought it was pretty, I just thought it looked cool, it seemed nice at the time.

Sometimes, though, sometimes I get really good answers like I’ve been inspired by several different people, artists, etc, I use film to replicate life experiences and encounters, I added these colors because it reminded me of my fear of so and so, I want more of filmmaking inside a film. I want to see more of the thought process, we’re so scared and yet so passive of thought and expression of the mind. No one really cares anymore…. No one really cares about thought. I want to know how you were feeling when making that, were you motivated by a specific thing that you did, dreamt up, experience, heard of, read on the paper, if a specific thing makes you feel a certain way, you wanted the audience to feel that feeling and to sit in your shoes for a bit. I wish we were more conscious.

Comments

Popular Posts