Movie Review: Big Eyes (2014) [it's on Netflix]

Ref: Big Eyes (2014) [it's on Netflix]

I've heard a bit about this story even before watching the film and I had to say that I can't believe it's based on a true story (you'd probably agree when/if you watch it). It's astonishing what pure shit she had to put up with all because of him. Just imagine, putting your heart and soul into your work and not being able to say that it's yours. That really hurts. This was also in the 50's so this reoccurring theme of: women are not supposed to have jobs, they are supposed to agree with their husbands, and they are supposed to get the approval of their husbands in order to do so-and-so was just so prominent that really there wasn't anything that she felt that she COULD do... she felt isolated even from the outside world.

I absolutely loved the various color pallets used within the film itself. What captured my eye the most were the pastels alongside a bright red or a bright mint green, it was just really nice to look at. What I love to point out, and it's not a bad thing, but for the setting to take place in the 50's and the film itself to have pretty modern quality (despite the makeup and the attire of the characters), it was hard for me to grasp it as a technically "old film" (if anyone gets it) or more of the idea of it being in the past.... I don't that it's a problem though, it's just a thought that passed my mind a few times especially in the beginning. [Now that I'm going through that thought I feel like it doesn't make any sense, but I'll still share it anyways just to see if it would strike an opinion with someone].

One more thing, I really hated the Keane's character. I felt that he was just too fabricated and that everything clearly happened in order to make him out as the bad guy (which isn't as realistic I feel). Don't get me wrong, he's a horrible person and I hate him for doing what he did to her, but I just felt like his character was too expressive and too exaggerated that it just felt like an act and not like a real thing. Enough nit-picking, I loved the movie and would recommend it!

Note: This is not my favorite quote from the movie, but this is all the image I have because I did not want to lose my thoughts trying to get a good screen-capture of it but here is the quote:

"Well, from where I'm standing, I don't see much good anywhere. Just a lot of pride and thievery and people treating each other poorly".

Comments

Popular Posts