Movie Review: My Neighbor Totoro / Tonari No Totoro

Hey guys,

Yeah I know I'm literally like 20-30 years late with this whole watching Totoro thing, but I finally did it and I'm glad that I did.

When I was a kid, I never really enjoyed the art style of Hayao Miyazaki's films just because they depressed me so much. As a kid, I had a pretty bad childhood (which I do not want to bring up ever) and just remembering those times really put in some deep shit.

But now looking at the art style and looking forward from it, I've come to like it. It gives me nostalgia so much that I actually enjoy it, who would've thought?

The movie itself was really really good, it made me smile and cry and then smile some more. It really shows this innocence of childhood and how there are magical things that happen around the time of youth, it's just a beautiful concept to work with and it really makes my entire heart smile. I'm so happy right now because of this movie.

I'm going to continue forward on this journey of watching Hiyao Miyazaki's films because I'm fully intrigued now. What really pushed me into watching this movie was because I heard that he's coming out of retirement and will be out to push out a new movie/animation similar to this and Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke and though I have yet to watch those two, I'm pretty impressed with Totoro and so I will be anticipating this new movie. Another thing that got me into watching this movie was because my inspirational individual (?) if that's the word for it, on Instagram, loves these types of movies and actually grew up enjoying them so I decided that I would give it a try too.

Overall it's a really really good movie and I would recommend everyone to watch it. Japanese with English subs is WAYYYY better than watching it with english dub because really the english dubs just makes the characters seem more annoying than they actually are made to be. They're children,yes, but they aren't as obnoxious as the english dub really puts them out to be, idk. I think, always and hands down, that english subs will always be better for these old-school animations.

Really all of anime should be watched in Japanese with English subbed with an exception to Hetalia due to their great parodied accents and just their take on the entire satire aspect of the anime itself helped to enhance the nuance of the show, not delude it like how it does to great animations like Tonari no Totoro.
10/10, must watch.

Comments

Popular Posts