Movie Review: Documentary on Van Gogh

Hey,

This was a must-watch for me, personally since I love a lot of Van Gogh's art. I learned about his life and how similar it was to mine (not in most exact way, but in the perspective of mindset and this idea of being marginalized for being different and having a transcendent view on the world).

In a way I feel like I connect with Van Gogh a lot: through the ways that he was rejected and his connection with his brother, his utter determination and devotion to his work, and really his entire life of being outcasted and seen as the different one. He couldn't fit in with society, yes he did have his own mental issues that he was facing and he wasn't one with the world's greatest personality, but I believed that he was someone compassionate and caring deep down. He loved and loved too much and it became the best of him and I feel that.

What gets me is that utter compassion for him to suffer for other's benefits. He seemed to take on a lot of bullshit living conditions, stress, and depression all on his own for the benefit of others and no one understood that. No one knew what he was going through for the sake of other people. He tried to keep his sanity by painting and controlling himself through art, but he continued to deteriorate mentally and people saw more of that than they did of him through his paintings. He lived a very sad and tragic life and I want to take this time to appreciate his works and really go through his world a bit. I feel him, on a spiritual level I feel him.

What I found to be pretty interesting is his fascination with Japanese artwork, like that blew my mind I didn't even know he was interested in that type of art. When he had to paint a self-portrait of himself and he replicated the image of a monk through himself, I found that to be really really compelling and like wow, this combination of Western and Eastern art all found through Van Gogh, now that's spectacular.

Here's the link to the doc: http://www.biography.com/people/vincent-van-gogh-9515695/videos/vincent-van-gogh-full-episode-2075049808

Enjoy.

Here are my thoughts from SNS:

Van Gogh was an underappreciated individual who thought of pure genuineness in one's work and not for this idea of gaining something from it.

That's something that I've been contemplating for a while myself; doing things with a passion and allowing your life to surround it.

Without this constant need of public acceptance and this systematic constraint of money, he worked passionately for what he truly loved.

Despite the unsuccessful attempts at getting anywhere in his life, he still did what he loved and enjoyed it all the way through

and that fact that no one could understand his pure PASSION and determination in his work; no one was as devoted as he was... really gets me.

He grew up being the neglected freak of society, that constant reject who always tries to piece his life together... no one knew until he died.

Comments

Popular Posts