Movie Review: Lights Out

Hello all,

As a horror movie lover, I have a few things to say about this newly released movie entitled Lights Out. [I'm trying to make this less casual and more constructive instead of dissing the movie completely]. Here we go:

This movie had a very back establishing plot. I feel like if the film had some more ambiguity, it would feel better. The plot of the story was very predictable (whether you felt it or not, you knew what would be coming out later on). I loved the concept of the lights out and loved seeing the jumpscares for the commericals and ads but those were the only things I found intriguing. Really if you have to use jumpscares as your only tactic of making a movie scary, then you might have to give up your dream on being a good movie writer. There was a lot of lacking substance from the film; I really felt that it could be expressed better and that the plot could have more power to it if given some extra thought.

Though the plot was clear and concise, it did not make me feel so astonished that I'd want to continue watching the movie. There were many times within the film that I completely spaced out and stopped thinking about the film altogether; that's how uninterested I was in it.

The acting also seemed pretty crappy as well. For the most part, I'm pretty neutral when it comes to bad acting on many many films, but for this one specifically the acting killed off the suspense and horror that was supposed to come from atmosphere and everything really.

Overall this movie seemed like it was slammed together in about a month or two and had little to no efforts of adjustment whatsoever.
If you're thinking of watching this movie for some scares, you'll be disappointed unless you're all about the jumpscares.

Rating: 4/10

It wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't the top-notch best either. It lacked in so many areas that horror films (especially) should have, so I took down 1 point from 5/10.

Comments

Popular Posts