Movie Review: Blue Valentine

Ref: Blue Valentine

What a really heartbreaking story, even from the very very beginning. Ryan Gosling did a phenomenal job at playing the part and I loved the element of aging and how nicely done the attire and everything was made up to switch back and forth from past to present. In the beginning, the story progression took a bit long and I felt that the dog plot was a bit unnecessary but it didn't take away from the entire story itself.

In stories normally like this, there is a steady progression from beginning to end yet in this film the story progresses from the end up and breaks the norm (which I found to be pretty interesting). Some things I found to be a bit bothering (not so much as disturbing but it did put me off a bit) was the sound and the unsteady camera-shots. The scene where they're on the bus really threw me off for the sound because yes it's great for atmosphere and establishing location, but to not be able to hear the dialogue between the characters is a bit... frustrating(?). Especially in public settings like that, it made the movie seem a bit less focused on in technical part as it was story-wise (just a tiny bit). Most of the shots where taken pretty decently but there were some outliers that really caught my attention to have me think "oh wow, yeah we're filming here" and it really took away from me immersing myself into the story. I want to be able to get away from reality and not think about the whole technical side of a film (that's the whole goal there, at least in my mind).

Aside from these points, I really loved the film. It introduced a unique concept on the perspective of love: not so much the progression of love but more of the regression (as painful as that is). The quotes from this movie are amazing. This aspect of unrequited love and...I won't spoil so much for those who are gonna watch this. Nonetheless, I really liked this movie.

Note: The image is one of my favorite shots from the film!

Re: The ending really got me.


Comments

Popular Posts