Movie Review: Following (1998) [it's on Netflix]

Ref: Following (1998) [it's on Netflix]

Very very interesting film by Nolan, but of course. His psychology behind film is the reason why he's so intriguing to me. Besides the point, the film was really interesting. I absolutely loved the ambiguous plot development and the rough line between past and future. Constantly going back and forth between time-spots in the plot, I found it a bit discombobulating at first but nothing too serious to throw me off. I felt like the story was made intentionally blurry throughout the middle section and then at the end was made solid again, that's beautiful. My favorite scene in the film is the one where they're burglarizing the place and he says "you can learn a lot about a person by their things". It's so fascinating the idea behind the human mind itself, the secrets we keep there and the hidden treasures we subconsciously trap inside of ourselves. The concept of everyone having their own box and hiding it away and yet at the same time wanting people to go through it really gets me. There's something to think about when I'm up awake at 3:00 in the morning.

I found it to be a very interesting black and white film. It lacking color actually added to the eerie, shallowness of the plot (if it makes sense?) so no complaints in that department. I found it to be on the level of complexity that I normally love in films, so I recommend it.

Note: This is a good quote from the film, but honestly not my favorite. Though there is a good mentality behind this quote too, the fact that people don't know what they have until it's gone but more on the side that they don't recognize it's importance or even it's existence until it's gone. I'll spoil a little and say that in this case, it's a relationship being broken and this allows both parties to be more self-aware (?). I'll wrap my head around a solidified interpretation later on.

Comments

Popular Posts